Most people aren’t savvy when it comes to roofing material. It is okay to not know what you are looking for or what the differences between products are. Depending on if you are looking for a full roof replacement or just replacing broken shingles your wants may change. One of the greatest types of shingles that have begun to be quite popular is asphalt shingles. Here we discuss the different types of asphalt shingles and why they’re important for roofing in Victoria TX.
What Is An Asphalt Shingle
If you see the term “asphalt shingle” and don’t understand what it means, don’t be alarmed. It is nothing more than a shingle that is used for waterproofing a roof. It is most inexpensive and fairly simple to use. There are two basic types of asphalt shingles.
- Organic Shingles – These types of shingles are based on waste paper saturated with asphalt making it waterproof. It is usually coated with adhesive salt and ceramic granules on top. These are more durable than fiberglass, but are more prone to fire and less friendly to the environment because they have high oil based asphalt content.
- Fiberglass Shingles – These types of shingles are based with a layer of glass fiber reinforcing mat. This mat is coated with asphalt which contains mineral fillers to make the shingle waterproof. These are less flexible but also less prone to fire. In fact, they offer excellent fire protection. They are replacing organic shingles more and more.
Why Is Asphalt The Way To Go?
Now you know that asphalt shingles are not only super affordable but also safer for your home. Most asphalt shingles can last around 20 years. These shingles do vary for the better, though. Commonly, fiber cement asphalt shingles last about 20 years, premium brands can last up to 50 years.
There are different looks you can accomplish with these types of shingles as well. One of those is called the 3-Tab shingles. These are flat and simple with a uniform shape. They use less material and are thinner. These types of shingles are the most commonly used for rental properties.
Another look that these shingles can provide is an “Architectural” or Dimensional shingle. These shingles are also thicker and stronger. They also can vary in shape and size which makes them look more traditional and distinct. The architectural shingle can usually last at least 5-10 years if not a little more than regular 3-tab shingles.
What Are The Disadvantages To Asphalt Shingles?
Like any type of product for home improvement, there are some disadvantages to having asphalt shingles. One of the biggest drawbacks is that they cannot be recycled and therefore are regularly in landfills. Some other disadvantages include:
- Some cheaper 3-tab shingles can be uplifted by wind.
- Extreme heat can cause shingles to crack or loose color.
- Regular maintenance are needed to prevent damage
- They can be damaged if installed in below freezing temperatures
In the end, you have to weigh what you think is best for your home. Asphalt shingles have a lot of positive sides to them, such as lower cost and fire resistance in the fiberglass types. They are a great way to be able to redo your roof in an attractive way that is cost-effective.
Looking For a Roofing Contractor?
Cox Brothers Roofing offers roof repairs, replacements, and new roofs to homeowners and businesses across South Texas. Now serving: Victoria, Cuero, Goliad, Alamo Heights, Bulverde, Helotes, Steeple Brook, Stonewall Ranch and Timberwood Park.
You’re always in good hands at Cox Brothers Roofing. We take pride in always maintaining high-quality craftsmanship and materials in order to give you the best roofs and roof repairs in South Texas. Our team includes not only experienced roofers, but also insurance experts who specialize in assisting with homeowner’s insurance claims for roof repair and replacement. We strive for excellence in every step of serving our customers and ensure that your roof will last you for years to come.